Farhaad R Riyaz, MD, FAAD
Mohs Surgeon, General and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Dr. Farhaad Riyaz, MD, FAAD founded the Skin Institute of Virginia in 2020. He is a board-certied dermatologist and fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic & reconstructive surgeon with interests in skin cancer, Mohs surgery & complex facial reconstruction, cosmetics, hair disorders & restoration, and clinical trials. A Virginia native, he was born in Arlington, VA and attended high school in Manassas, VA. He graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA with a degree in Biomedical Engineering and then attended the Medical College of Virginia where he stood rst place in his class and served as President of the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society.
After medical school, he completed a yearlong internship at the St. Joseph Mercy Health System in Ann Arbor, MI and a 3-year residency in dermatology at the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, MI under the direction of Dr. Henry Lim, MD who was serving as President of the American Academy of Dermatology at the time. He then completed a formal Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology fellowship at Northwestern University in Chicago, IL, focusing on Mohs surgery and reconstruction. Mohs surgery boasts the highest cure rate for many types of skin cancer. Still at Northwestern, he completed a yearlong ASDS-accredited fellowship in cosmetic dermatology under Dr. Murad Alam, MD – President-Elect of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. When approaching a cosmetic patient he strives for a natural and subtle appearance and treats each patient’s unique concerns in a way that complements their natural features.
After 5 years away from Virginia, Dr. Riyaz decided to move back home and practiced for the first few years of his career in Washington, DC, and was named to Washingtonian Magazine’s Top Doctors in his first year of practice. Dr. Riyaz enjoys being involved in education, research and service. He has publications in major medical journals such as the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery, Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, Pediatric Dermatology, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine and Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery and has contributed chapters to several books ranging in topics from acne scarring, to phototherapy for psoriasis, to the safe use of Botox.
Dr. Riyaz continues to teach students, residents, and fellows with various speaking engagements nationally and volunteers his time teaching residents at Georgetown, UVa and VCU, and hosts visiting trainees in his clinic. As a leader in the elds of dermatology, cosmetics and Mohs surgery, he’s an active member and holds committee positions in the: American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) and American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS). Throughout the year he visits Capitol Hill to speak with legislators about issues that aect his patients with the AAD and ASDS. He currently serves as the Treasurer for the Virginia Dermatology Society, another organization centered around improving care for patients.
- 2009 - B.S., Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- 2013 - M.D., Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- 2014 - St. Joseph Mercy Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2017 - Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI Dermatology Residency
- 2018 - Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, ACGME and ACMS-Accredited Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology Fellowship, ASDS-Accredited Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship
- Technological Innovation in Dermatology
- Medical And Surgical Hair Restoration
- Rural Care Through Telemedicine
- Cosmetic Product Development
- Rohit Kakar, MD, Farhaad Riyaz, MD, Megan Pirigyi, MD, and Murad Alam, MD, MSCI, MBA. Surgical techniques: subcision, grafting, excision, and punch techniques in Acne Scars,2E. Edited by Dr. Ken Beer. 2018.
- Riyaz FR, Ozog D. Rotation Flaps in Evidence-Based Procedural Dermatology, 2E. Edited by Dr. Murad Alam. Published 2018.
- Riyaz FR, Lim HW. Phototherapy and photochemotherapy in Psoriasis, 2E. Edited by Drs. Alan Menter and Catriona Ryan. Published 2017.
- Lopiccolo M, Riyaz FR, Ozog D. Complications and diffusion in Botulinum, 2E. Edited by Dr. Joel Cohen. Published 2017.